As we thrive in a far more technologically advanced era than we had as recently as a decade ago, data integrity has become one of the most important facets of your organization. This is especially true if your company frequently uses Internet-reliant lines of communication such as email correspondence, financial transactions, or professional networking, which can all have a disastrous effect on your business operations when threatened or compromised.
Unfortunately, the rise in the widespread use of technology brought with it bigger opportunities in cybercrime, which is why the risks of hacks and data breaches are always present, no matter what the size of your company is.
This is where the importance of endpoint and network security for small and mid-sized businesses comes in.
Endpoint and Network Security Defined
Endpoint and network security, also known as EDR cybersecurity, pertains to the series of all technologies and practices that keep an organization’s computer systems and electronic data safe. It can also be defined as the process of deploying preventative measures to protect a company’s underlying networking infrastructure from unauthorized access, misuse, malfunction, modification, destruction or improper disclosure. When these measures are administered, your organization’s computers, users, and programs are provided with the capacity to perform their permitted critical functions within a secure environment.
Different Types of Cybersecurity Threats
Determining the level of EDR and network security your company needs requires you to familiarize your organization with the different kinds of cybersecurity threats that you may face.
- Data leaks, for one, can be entirely damaging to your business’ reputation. All the data your company holds such as customer insight and employee data, which often includes sensitive information, can easily be put at risk if your organization doesn’t take a number of precautionary measures.
- Another cybersecurity threat for enterprises is ransomware. It is a type of malware that encrypts a company’s data and can only be unlocked in exchange for a large fee.
- Last but not the least, there’s also the risk of phishing, which is the process of fraudulently trying to gain an individual’s or organization’s information to exploit the account that data is associated with. What’s scary is that criminals no longer require to be personally involved in attacks like this as they can actually automate these crimes with the rise of artificial intelligence.
How to protect your company from various cybersecurity crimes
A well-rounded education in endpoint and network security can introduce your organization to the common methods hackers typically use to perform their crimes. This opportunity gives your company the hands-on training it needs to think beyond basic security methods and prevent even a highly technical, well-organized cybercrime.
Here are a few skills and training your business should look for in any endpoint and network security program:
- Install, troubleshoot, and manage hardware, software or services for single, multi or mixed-user environments.
- Assess computer system issues and monitor networks to make sure it is available to the users while identifying customer needs and using this information to understand, design, and assess the network requirements at the same time.
- Plan, execute and coordinate network security measures, install security software, and monitor networks for possible security breaches.
- Opportunity to prepare how to use cybersecurity measures to manage personnel conducts and protect data in relation to keeping safe the information.
As magnificent as the interconnected age is, it also comes with its own problems that demand us to stay educated and use the best practices so that we do not face a bad end.
As cybersecurity tactics sometimes become an afterthought, harmful issues could potentially occur. This proves that a lack of focus on endpoint and network security can be greatly damaging to your business, causing physical impacts and reputational damages.
Hackers are continuously looking for new vulnerabilities to exploit so when your endpoints and networks are not secured, all your company’s information is at risk of being exposed or leveraged against you. Regular training of staff and implementing a framework to work towards your business’ key goals, combined with diligence and persistence is the best way to avoid an attack.
Network Medics offers cybersecurity services that use a multi-layered approach to protect your confidential data. Our security solutions ensure that viruses are prevented from penetrating your network. From installing antivirus and anti-malware software to updating your firewall settings, we’ll put into place solutions that will defend your network from cyber-criminals intending to steal or destroy your crucial and confidential data.
Contact Network Medics today to learn more about our cybersecurity services for your business.